How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application!
We are currently working on our hiring process and introducing an applicant management system. Thus, the right way to apply may vary from job to job - please find the correct information in each advertisement.
Your complete application will usually include:
a cover letter/motivation letter
- How did you learn about the vacancy?
- Why are you interested in the Alfred Wegener Institute?
- Why are you interested in the advertised position?
- What are the main points of your previous work experience?
- Why are you qualified for the position, in your opinion?
- Which requirements of the position do you perform particularly well, which perhaps not so well (yet)?
- Do you have concrete ideas for the design of the position, e. g. in the case of science projects?
- What are your expectations of the position and of AWI?
a tabulated and complete curriculum vitae
- Name, address, phone, e-mail, date of birth and place of birth
- Graduation/school-leaving qualification
- Professional life (former employer/s, previous fields of responsibility)
- Additional qualifications, courses of studies, language skills, internships, etc.
- Scientific positions: list of publications, invited talks, research grants/ funding received, teaching experience, committee memberships, participation in research cruises/ expeditions (if applicable)
- Volunteering/honorary post, if any
copies of certificates and references
- Training certificate and/or university degree - bachelor/diploma/master/PhD certificate
- Contacting references (for scientific positions) or written employers' references (for technical or administrative positions) for all relevant activities
- School leaving certificate, if applicable (relevant especially for apprencticeships and entrants)
- Internship certificates, if applicable
your period of notice
Please also state your period of notice or your earliest possible starting date.
After applying: What is the selection procedure of AWI like?
The receipt of your application will be confirmed in writing or by e-mail, depending on the submission form. After the application deadline, all received applications will be reviewed by the respective division. Then, the invitations will be sent to the selected candidates. You can expect a classic interview involving the management and perhaps staff members from the respective department, a representative of the staff council and, depending on the candidates and the nature of the position, a disabilities officer, the women's representative and a staff member from the Human Resources Department. Depending on the position, other selection instruments might also be employed, such as work samples.
After the decision is made, you will be informed by the Human Resources Department and, later, you will receive your contract and contract documents.