AWI's 14C lab is equipped with a variety of state-of-the-art peripherals to process a wide range of sample material for subsequent measurement in the MICADAS.
The samples to be dated may be solid, liquid, or gaseous. The appropriate measurement method is selected depending on the expected or available carbon quantity.
MICADAS key features
- 200kV accelerator
- Helium stripping, 47% 14C transmission
- Permanent ("Green") magnet - low energy consumption, low heat loss
- Hybrid ion source for solid phase and gas cathodes (Cs negative sputter)
- Random access sample changer with 40 positions, exchangeable without breaking vacuum
- compact dimensions: 3.4m x 2.6m x 2.0m