4. November: Sofia (Sonya) Antonova submitted herPhD thesis "Exploring the potential of high temporal resolution X-band SAR time series for various permafrost applications with ground truth observations in the Lena River Delta, Siberia".
Her publications are:
3. November: Monitoring Bedfast Ice and Ice Phenology in Lakes of the Lena River Delta Using TerraSAR-X Backscatter and Coherence Time Series.
Authors: Antonova, S., Duguay, C. R., Kääb, A., Heim, B., Langer, M., Westermann, S., and Boike, J.
Published in Remote Sensing, 2016, 8(11), 903, doi: 10.3390/rs8110903
31. May: Spatio-temporal variability of X-band radar backscatter and coherence over the Lena River Delta, Siberia.
Authors: Antonova, S., Kääb, A., Heim, B., Langer, M., and Boike, J.
Published in Remote Sensing of Environment, 2016, 182, 169-191, doi: 10.1016/j.rse.2016.05.003
December 2015 - May 2016: Sofia (Sonya) Antonova receives a DAAD scholarship for a research stay at the University of Waterloo, Canada
- 26. December: Documentation about Wegener's life at INFOradiorbb also with Julia Boike
- 8. December: Our team was shown in the German TV - watch the report
- 22. November: Inga Beck talks about polar research at local primary school (more).
- The Page21 project is officially closed (more)
- 29. September: Inga Beck presents her research at the 'kommunalen Kino' Pforzheim
- September 2015: Successful expedition to Svalbard, Norway (more)
- Moritz Langer is awarded with the 'Klima Preis'
- 30. August 2015: 2. expedition in the Mackenzie Delta successfully finished (more)
- New publication (Beck et al. 2015): Vertical movements of frost mounds in subarctic permafrost regions analyzed using geodetiv survey and satellite interferometry.
- New publication (Beck et al. 2015): Vertical movements of frost mounds in subarctic permafrost regions analyzed using geodetic survey and satellite interferometry.
- 12 August 2015: Inga Beck is presenting at the Kinderakademie in Bruchsal
- April 2015: Inga Beck is in the finals of the GEO Stipendium 2015
- New publication (Beck et al. 2015): Assessing Permafrost Degradation and Land Cover Changes (1986-2009) using Remote Sensing Data over Umiujaq, Sub-Arctic Québec
- 4. April: Presentation of Sina Muster at WWF 2 Grad Campus
- 1. - 4. April: 4th Polar Educators International workshop organized by Inga Beck in Hannover, Germany
- 19. March: Presentation by Inga Beck about the Arctic at the 'Haus des Waldes'.
- 19. February: Academy for children by Sina Muster
- 14. - 26. February: Exhibition "Arktische Spirale" by Sina Muster and Geertje Jacob at the 'Wissenschaftsetage' in Potsdam.
- 14. February: Presentation of Sina Muster at the 'Potsdamer Köpfe'
- 19. - 23. January: Inga Beck is member of the scientific committee of the Arctic Frontier Conference.
- Fall: Sascha Niemann finished his Masterthesis about 'lake water balance of a thermokarst lake on Kurungnakh Island, Lena Delta, northern Siberia'.
- 27. July: We started our summer expedition to Samoylov in Siberia! Follow our activities!
- 21. May: Sina Muster won the award for the best 'FrostByte' at EUCOP 4. Watch her 'FrostByte' here!
- 17. - 21. May: EUCOP 4 in Évora, Portugal with many contributions from our group
- 10. April: Involvement in the long night of sciences (lange Nacht der Wissenschaft) with experiments and an exhibition about snow.
- 08. April: First news from Steffen Frey from Bayelva - get an impression here!
- April: The winter expeditions to Bayelva (Svalbard) and Samoylov starts!
- 30. January - 2. March 2014 Exhibition "Arktische Spirale" by Sina Muster and Geertje Jacob at Umweltbundesamt (UBA) in Dessau
- 29. November 2013: Sina Muster wins the "AWI Doktoranden Preis"
- 26. November 2013: Sina Muster gets a Young Researcher grant of 3 years from the “Helmholtz-Postdoc-Programm”
- 25. November 2013: "Deutsche Welle" article and video "Disappearing Permafrost" with Julia Boike, Waldemar Schneider and Günter "Molo" Stoof
- 11. November 2013: Interview with Julia Boike on Antenne Brandenburg
- October 2013: Humboldt Research Fellowship for Postdoctoral Researchers (Moritz Langer)
- 13. April 2012: Opening of In-walk exposition "Arktische Spirale" at the Heinrich Böll Foundation, Schumannstr. 8, Berlin. For further information look here
- 19. March 2012: Sebastian Westermann wins the "Umweltpreis" of the "Viktor und Sigrid Dulger-Stiftung" of the University of Heidelberg for his PhD thesis „Sensitivity of permafrost“
- 1. February 2012: Successful habilitation of Julia Boike at the University of Heidelberg
- 5. - 9. December 2011: AGU Fall Meeting, Julia Boike is attending with a poster "Sensitivity of Permafrost in the Arctic - a multiscale perspective" presenting the results of the SPARC group. Moritz Langer is giving a talk about "The freeze-up of high Arctic ponds and potential impacts on the carbon balance" in session Lakes and Reservoirs in cold Region Hydrology II (CS1B).
- 7. November 2011: Today researchers from eleven countries will meet in Potsdam to launch a new, four-year EU project. What happens when the vast amounts of carbon in Arctic soils are released to the atmosphere? This is the central question field-researchers, operators of long term observatories and modellers from 18 partner institutions in the EU intend to answer with the PAGE21 project. For further information look here
- 14. October 2011: Open position for an engineer in the EU project “Changing Permafrost in the Arctic and its Global Effects in the 21st Century (PAGE21). Job discription here
- September 2011: Get an all around impression of our field sites on Polar Bear Pass, Svalbard and in the Lena Delta and have a look at the panorama pictures.
- September 2011: Everybody is back from expedition and the period of data evaluation begins.
- July/August 2011: Karoline Wischnewski and Katrin Fröb on expedition to Samoylov/Siberia. Read here the expedition reports (in German).
- 3. June 2011: Moritz Langer gives a lecture on sparc's research to students of meteorology.
- 28. May 2011: The sparc group participates in the long night of science ("Lange Nacht der Wissenschaft") and shows visitors how a infrared camera works by using a huge block of ice. See the pictures.
- April 2011: Moritz Langer on expedition to Samoylov/Siberia taking ice samples from thermokarst lakes. Read here the expedition reports (in German).
- January 2011: Anna Abnizova writes 'Oasen in der Kältewüste' an article about her work in the Canadian Arctic that is published in the DAAD letter.
July 2010: 'Wenn der Permafrost taut' an article about permafrost written by Julia Boike and Lars Kutzbach is published in Welt der Physik.
- October 2009: Julia Boike presents the work of SPARC in an Helmholtz Podcast.
- October 2009: Some results of 11 years SPARC permafrost research on Svalbard published under: http://www.svalbardscienceforum.no
- February 2009: Sebastian Westermann won the PYRN-USPA best presentation award at the American Geophysical Union General Fall Meeting in San Fancisco in December 2008.
Monitoring of Surface Temperatures with Thermal Camera Systems at a High-Arctic Permafrost Site on Svalbard, Norway
- January 2009: Sina Muster was selected as a recipient for the Alexander Goetz Instrument Support Program for the 2009 Calendar Year with her project proposal "Multi-scale eco-hydrological classification of a High Arctic wetland". The project investigates relationships between above-ground phenomena (e.g. vegetation, ground-type) and sub-surface parameters such as moisture content and thaw depth which is critical for accurate estimates of evapotranspiration. Spectral measurements with an ASD FieldSpec®HandHeld (325-1075 nm) will provide ground truth for the spatial classification of surface parameters via satellite data.
- Julia Boike presented her plenary paper (titled 'Heat and Water Transfer Processes in Permafrost-Affected Soils: A Review of Field and Modeling-Based Studies for the Arctic and Antarctic') at the NICOP conference. Click here to watch it.
- Paul Overduin and Sebastian Westermann participated in the last Tunnel Man episode 2 on their summer expedition in Alaska. Click here to watch it.