Travel to Helgoland
IMPORTANT: The meeting takes place in March i.e. out of season, so please make your bookings early as there are less connections to the island than in summer.Dear participants of the ICES WGPME meeting
Below you find some information that will help you make your travel arrangements to Helgoland. If you have any questions not covered here, please contact us at any time
The closest mainland airports are Hamburg and Bremen. There are connecting flights from many international Hubs (Frankfurt, Munich, London, Paris, Amsterdam…..) to these regional airports.
1. From Hamburg:
a. From Hamburg airport take the underground to Hamburg main station and from there a regional train to the small town of Büsum. From there you can take a plane to Helgoland.
Traintickets can be booked at http://bahn.de
Plane tickets can be booked at http://www.fliegofd.de They have an online form for booking inquiries. In case of problems just let us know and we will make the booking by phone. Please note that tickets will be issued as you arrive at the airport.
There is a company that offers direct flights from Hamburg to Helgoland. However, while they have a regular schedule, they often only fly if the plane is reasonably full. If you are interested in taking up this option let us know and we will try and arrange it for you.
2. From Bremen: Take tram No 6 from the airport to Bremen Main station (Hauptbahnhof). From there take the local train to Bremerhaven. Again, train tickets can be booked online at http://bahn.de or at the station. From Bremerhaven you can fly to Helgoland (http://www.fliegofd.de/). You will need to take a cab to the airport.
Ferries to the Island:
In March there will only be very limited ferry connections to and from Helgoland. On March 18th a ferry will leave the port of Cuxhaven at 10:30 am and arrive at Helgoland around 12:00. Return to the mainland is possible either on March 21st at 10 am or Friday 22nd at 16:00.
Hotel List for Hamburg, Bremerhaven and Bremen
1. Motel 1: There are several Motel1s in Hamburg. We recommend you book into either the Motel 1 at the airport or at the 'Michel'. The latter is close to the harbour. Rooms are from 59 Euros per night: Hotel website
2. Intercity Hotel Hamburg Altona: This hotel is close to one of Hamburgs main railway stations. From there you can catch trains to Büsum (via Heide) or to Hamburg mainstation: Hotel website
1. City Hotel (close to the railway station): A small family-run hotel. Rooms are from 58 Euros per night. Hotel website
2. Hotel Haverkamp (in the city centre): Hotel website (please mention that you are coming for an AWI conference when making a booking).
Hotels in Bremen
Hotels by the airport:
Atlantic airport hotel: located right opposite the departure terminal. Tram No 6 stops near the hotel entrance. Hotel website
Holiday Inn Express Bremen Airport: about a 2 minute walk from the airport'
s departure hall. Hotel website
Hotels on Helgoland, link to location map