The Coastal Ecology section focuses strategically and operationally on the following major themes and research questions:
Long term coastal analyses
What geological and biological changes to coastal systems have taken place over the past decades, how have natural and anthropogenic processes influenced these systems, and can we predict which scenarios are to be expected in the future?
Coastal life strategies
How are organisms, species interactions and the dynamics of communities and their habitats affected by global change, and what consequences do these changes have for evolutionary adaptive strategies?
Coastal system response
How do coastal systems react to changing environmental parameters, and how do these changes influence the structure and function of ecosystems and their physical morphology?
Longterm Ecological Research
Ecological Time Series of the AWI in the North Sea
Time Series in the Northfrisian Wadden Sea
Working group: Ecosystem Analysis
- We understand an ecosystem as a complex unity consisting of both the community of organisms interacting and abiotic environmental factors, the biotope. Community and biotope are tightly connected by causal and functional interdependencies of both biotic and abiotic components.
- We understand biodiversity not only as the sum of species or habitats, but particularly as the sum of interactions, connecting these components at species or community level (Flow diversity). We try to identify key stone species and to quantify dependencies among species.
Working Group: Population ecology
Working Group: Sedimentary dynamics and paleoclimate studies
- A paleoclimate record through the past millennium from the Skagerrak based on grain-size data
- Late Holocene climate change: The benthic foraminifer record from the Skagerrak
- Multidisciplinary study on the impact of storms on the Sylt/Rømø Wadden Sea
- Shallow seismic investigations off northern Sylt
- Granulometric investigations off Sylt
- Remote sensing analyses of the Wadden Sea around Sylt
- A method to correct grain-size data for IRD influence (Yermak Plateau)
- Paleo bottom-current speed in the Fram Strait through the past 21,000 years
- Channel geometry in the Riiser Larsen Sea
- Paleoenvironment reconstruction in the Riiser Larsen Sea